What is Mining and What is a Pool?
If you don’t know what either of these are, definitely read this first.
What are the Biggest Mining pools?
The biggest 5 bitcoin pools, by hash rate, are:
Besides these 5, I would like to give an honorary mention to two pools (For reasons I will explain later):
My thoughts on these pools
- Antpool: This is the pool with the highest hashrate. It is owned by Bitmain, the company that creates Antminers. It seems to be pretty good, and they are currently giving free stuff to some of their miners.
- BTC.TOP: I don’t know very much about this pool because it is a Chinese pool and all of the words are in Chinese.
- BTC.com: From what I can tell, it seems to have a pretty good interface. BTC.com also has a very nice chart that shows the distribution of hashes by pool.
- F2Pool: This pool has been around for a long time. It looks like it has a pretty good interface.
- BTCC: This one is also in Chinese, so I can’t really tell much about it.
- Slushpool: This is the pool I personally use. They have a Bitcoin and Zcash pool. There are multiple reasons why I use and like this pool. For one, they have an amazing interface that can tell you anything you want with ease. They are also one of the oldest mining pools, and they have a great reputation. One of the major reasons I picked it is because the instructions are very clear and easy to follow, especially for a newbie. I would 100% recommend using Slushpool. I talk a little about how to set up using Slushpool here.
- SuprNova: I have to mention SuprNova for one reason. As well as having a pool for Bitcoin, it has a pool for basically any coin you would ever want to mine. They have pools for around 40 coins! Aside from that though, it doesn’t have much going for it. Its interface is horrible and not user-friendly at all. I would not recommend using this for any of the big coins. Only use it for small coins.
Overall thoughts and recommendations
My personal opinion is that Slushpool is the best. If you disagree with me, feel free to tell me. Also, I would like to expand the descriptions of the pools that I don’t know much about, so please, if you know much about them, tell me. I would like to improve this list. You can find me on Bitcointalk.org as BitcoinboyBlog.